Prevention is the practice of working in the community to reduce the harm that comes to people as a result of their behavior or the behavior of others.
At ADSGC we focus on three types of prevention
- Individual This type of prevention works primarily with individuals through education and information dissemination about the dangers of alcohol and other drug use, risky sexual behaviors, and violence. The hope is that, armed with appropriate information, individuals will make healthy decisions that will not harm him/her.
- Community This type of prevention looks at the community and their belief systems regarding such behaviors as alcohol use, underage drinking, drug use, what kids need in their life to keep them safe, and the responsibility of the community members in caring for our youth. It includes media campaigns, educational talks to groups of people, and community assessment.
- Environmental This type of prevention looks at the community laws, and judicial systems that affect how people are dealt with when breaking the laws. It includes working with local and state government to create laws to help reduce the harm of substance abuse, and increase protective factors for youth and families.
Combined, these strategies help create community change to reduce behaviors that put individuals at risk of injury or death.
The staff at Alcohol & Drug Services works closely with many community members to develop strategies to prevent harm for the youth of Gallatin County.
Resources we offer
- Regional Alcohol & Drug Awareness Resource
- Video& Book Lending Library
- Links to where to get additional information
- Connections to services
- Local community prevention and human service organizations
- Prevention and Treatment services throughout state and nation
Services We Provide
- Educational displays/ Health Fairs
- Information on Laws
- Ideas for and help setting up scientifically proven prevention programs
- Culturally sensitive methods of addressing specific populations
- Training for local community coalitions
- Collaboration on local initiatives
- Responsible Beverage Service trainings
- Development of safety plans to community events
- Minor in Possession classes